Senior DevOps engineer — December 2015 to present
Heads the distributed team that handles the maintenance and operation of the organization's cloud infrastructure. CompareGlobalGroup is the most comprehensive financial comparison platform in the world, with presence in Asia, Europe and Latin America. More
- Leads a team of system administrators and production engineers who manage the infrastructure spread out across multiple availability zones and regions.
- As part of the technology management team, sets the technology direction for the organisation as mandated by the CTO.
- Established a service desk for incident management, providing a single point of contact for customers, and greatly improved the process for responding to production issues.
- Led the project to develop and maintain a business monitoring platform, which improved the visibility of application uptime.
- Develops and maintains tools for infrastructure management and application deployment.
- Provides technical guidance in infrastructure management for other ventures under Nova Founders Capital.
DevOps engineer (part-time) — November 2014 to November 2015
Part of the global team that created and upgraded the organization's cloud infrastructure. CompareGlobalGroup is the most comprehensive financial comparison platform in the world, with presence in Asia, Europe and Latin America. More
- Managed the infrastructure spread out across multiple availability zones and regions.
- Developed and maintained tools for infrastructure management and application deployment.
Linux system administrator — April 2010 to December 2015
Developed and maintained automation tools to manage the Unix infrastructure for the Bank's mission-critical applications like ERP, data warehousing, financials, and business intelligence. The Asian Development Bank is a multilateral financial institution that provides technical and financial assistance to developing countries. More
- Provided platform-level support to the Bank's development and infrastructure operations teams.
- Coordinated with various software development teams on continuous integration, rapid deployment, performance monitoring and tuning, and application support.
- Developed and maintained tools for application deployment, monitoring, and performance tuning.
- Documented testing and deployment scenarios for the Unix infrastructure requirements of the Bank.
- Supported Unix servers that run Apache, Tomcat and WebSphere web servers, Oracle and MySQL database servers, Oracle ERP applications, and IBM business intelligence software.
- Maintained an automation script that improves the deployment of Oracle applications. The deployment script, used within the Oracle web UI, was not actively maintained, and had numerous feature requests and issues submitted by the development teams. Upon assumption of code maintenance, feature requests and bugs were reduced to less than 10%.
- Wrote an orchestration tool that provides self-service capabilities for tasks such as database and application server restarts, log retrieval, initiation of cold backups, among others. Commonly requested tasks from the development and operations previously went through the service request queues before being acted on by other teams. The use of the tool significantly decreased these requests, improving workflows across various teams.
- Streamlined the provisioning process for Linux (physical and virtual) servers, which reduced build times from one day to less than an hour.
- Automated the security baseline configuration for Linux servers as part of compliance requirements at the Bank. Quarterly security audits tended to be time-consuming exercises for administrators. The automation process helped decrease the number of audit findings and interventions to more than 60%.
- Created and deployed a management tool for setting scheduled jobs from a centralized repository. Scheduled jobs were previously stored and managed locally. With the sync tool, jobs were centrally managed from a repository, and pulled by the corresponding servers, thus improving the scheduling workflow, and minimizing errors. This project was accepted in the League of Professional System Administrators (LOPSA) Mentorship Program.
- Re-factored a service that routes SMS acknowledgements for Nagios alerts. The previous service was not capable of accepting alert acknowledgements through SMS. The new service resulted in shorter response times from different operations teams when acting on service alerts.
- Wrote Nagios plugins and scripts for a monitoring dashboard. The dashboard, used by analysts for a critical business application, provides a single interface for tracking message workflows across various platforms.
- Wrote and maintained various scripts in Perl, Python and Bash for automating system administration, performance monitoring, and tuning tasks.
- As subject-matter expert, provided quality control and source code review for automation tools and scripts used in the Unix infrastructure.
Senior software engineer — May 2007 to April 2010
Supported the global directory services, identity management, and web infrastructure of a leading financial services firm. Accenture is an industry leader in global management consulting, technology services, and outsourcing. More
- Maintained the firm's directory services and identity management infrastructure using third-party open source and internally developed tools.
- Supported the firm's global web and enterprise products infrastructure.
- Worked closely with global software development teams in the areas of application deployment, monitoing and support.
- Resolved infrastructure issues reported through automated alerts, and from the global help desk.
- Subject-matter expert and training resource for shell scripting and Linux administration.
- Created a web application that interfaced with a service fulfillment facility. The application significantly streamlined the creation and closure of service requests for common tasks.
- Wrote and maintained various scripts to automate administrative tasks, including a tool for group management notification, a helper script that gathers LDAP information from various sources, and checkout scripts that provide inputs for the global monitoring framework.
Unix system administrator — January 2007 to April 2007
Operated and maintained Unix servers in the Bank's data center. The Asian Development Bank is a multilateral financial institution that provides technical and financial assistance to developing countries. More
- Ensured 99.999% uptime of production Unix (Solaris, AIX, and SLES) servers in the Bank's data center.
- Projects included the deployment of Subversion repositories for more than 20 software development projects; server consolidation; staging and installation of centralized log servers for Unix and Windows platforms; and testing and deployment of server backup strategies (on SAN) for about 100 Unix servers.
Systems engineer — April 2006 to January 2007
Provided intermediate-level technical and engineering support for Trend Micro enterprise products as part of its EMEA Technical Support Center infrastructure. Trend Micro is a global leader in anti-virus and security solutions, providing comprehensive enterprise-level services across multiple platforms and customer segments. More
- Handled troubleshooting and technical issue resolution for internet gateway (web and messaging) security products on Windows, Solaris and Linux platforms, using intensive testing procedures and set-up of lab environments for simulations and software patch testing.
- Initiated customer recovery procedures through teleconferences and web-based live meetings with senior product specialists and developers.
- Performed beta testing and technical documentation of upcoming products such as network appliances and gateway security software.
- Acted as a subject-matter resource on Linux and systems administration, and provided technical coaching for new engineers.
- Contributed technical solutions articles to Trend Micro's knowledge base.
Linux and web administrator — July 2004 to March 2006
Managed Linux servers of the corporate intranet in the local and wide area networks, and numerous web-based services for the Institute. Developed a portal for the Open Academy for Philippine Agriculture, the Pinoy Farmers' Internet. The Philippine Rice Research Institute is a premier research and development facility in Asia that pioneers and promotes rice science and technology. More
- Managed Linux systems (on Red Hat, Fedora and CentOS) with services such as DNS, IMAP, LDAP, proxy, database, and HTTP.
- Developed and maintained the web portal for the Pinoy Farmers' Internet.
- Successfully deployed a 30-node Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP) site running Ubuntu Linux as the IT training lab for the PhilRice Biotechnology Intellectual Property Rights Center.
- Deployed and maintained the Farmers' Contact Center web application in collaboration with the DOST Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI). With the app, farmers and agricultural extension workers can send queries, and receive tips through SMS.
- As a science research specialist, performed research on the evaluation and usability of learning management and content delivery systems for agriculture extension workers; and the evaluation and installation of a content management system for the corporate intranet and the web portal. These studies were presented and gained recognition in various scientific research fora.
- Other projects: configuration, deployment and maintenance of redundant database servers with high-availability and fail-over; high-availability and load-balancing clusters for WAN routers and local web proxy caches; improved network security through reformulation and implementation of network policies; and migration from proprietary software to open source.
Network administrator — April 2002 to July 2004
Designed and implemented the NIA Central Office local area network, and implemented services such as Active Directory, intranet, web, e-mail, and instant messaging. The National Irrigation Administration is the lead Philippine agency that provides irrigation services, development, operation and maintenance. More
- Initiated the partnership between the NIA and PREGINET of DOST ASTI for the Agency's inclusion to the nationwide broadband research and education network.
- Designed, prepared bid documents and specifications, and managed the structured cabling project of the NIA CO LAN.
- Developed the roll-out and implementation strategy for the NIA CO LAN.
- Developed and maintained the company intranet using Apache, PHP and MySQL, with a content management system running on Drupal.
Interests: DevOps, Amazon Web Services, OpenShift, OpenStack, Google Cloud Platform, PaaS, IaaS
- Bash (16 years / advanced)
- Perl (9 years / proficient)
- PHP (3 years / proficient)
- Python (6 years / proficient)
- SQL (2 years / proficient)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Fedora (16 years / advanced)
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (3 years / advanced)
- Ubuntu, Debian (6 years / proficient)
- Sun Solaris, IBM AIX (1 year / basic)
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Server (1 year / basic)
- Network and systems administration: Ansible, Chef, Nagios, NetCool, Apache, Tomcat, Squid, Nginx, Postfix, Sendmail, Courier, Dovecot, Procmail, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sybase, Oracle, Redis, Memcache, Trend Micro InterScan Web and Messaging Security Suite for Windows and Unix, Ethereal/Wireshark, Sniffer, tcpdump, Cisco IOS, F5 BIG-IP ZebOS, VMware, VirtualBox, Docker, Subversion, Git, Amazon Web Services, OpenShift, OpenStack, Google Cloud Platform
- Identity management: Sun Directory Server, Sun Identity Manager
- Web and content development: Drupal, WordPress, TWiki, MediaWiki, Dokuwiki, Laravel, Node.js, Flask